Sunday, April 1, 2007

Welcome to the Big Apple!

Before my hour-long flight from DC to LaGuardia took off, we were experiencing some delays so the pilot announced, “If anyone would like to meet me and the co-pilot in the cockpit, feel free to come on down!” I thought to myself – are you for real? What about all that airport security bullsh*t? You mean I had to buy travel-size EVERYTHING, put it in a zip-lock bag and not be allowed to bring my own beverages...yet we can all hang out with the pilot in the cockpit? Sadly no one seemed all that interested except for a couple old guys (in their 40’s) and well, me. I walked up the aisle to the cockpit and sat my butt right in the co-pilot seat. The pilot was very nice but wouldn’t let me touch any of the buttons or controls when I kept trying to. I did, however, get on the steering wheel (which I was told is called a yoke) and pretended like I was actually flying the plane. Even though the plane didn't even move an inch, I felt empowered nonetheless. The pilot also let me announce on the intercom, “Good morning ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking!” That was fun, but I was so tempted to add, “We are so sorry for the delay and would like to make it up to everyone by offering FREE WINE AND BOOZE!” But I refrained myself because I didn't want to get kicked off the plane. Well at least that made my flight a little more interesting. And what a fun start to an exciting 3-month adventure in the Big Apple!

Then after Cindy picked me up from the airport back to her beautiful new condo in Queens (see pics), we took the subway to work where she also works so I can get my paperwork started and fingerprinted and learn how to take the subway. Much to my chagrin, I had to pay $115 out of my own pocket to get fingerprinted. Can you believe that nonsense? Since now that I'm an independent contractor, I can't expense ANYTHING! Well I guess a tax write-off will do...Note to self: must learn all contracting tax laws. Anyone care to give me tax advice?




1 comment:

cindy said...

wow, what a fabulous looking apartment!