Friday, April 13, 2007

Home Sweet Home

I cannot believe my luck. After two full weeks of non-stop stress and unbearable stomach pains over my living situation, I finally found a place. Not just any place - but THE place. After my first apartment fell through, I continued on with my search and found another one, also on the Upper East Side. (Was I destined to be an uptown girl living in my uptown world?) But the rent was a bit steep ($2000 for a studio with no sitting area) in a neighborhood mildly exciting for geriatrics, so I wasn't completely thrilled. I accepted it because it was still better than nothing (especially better than renting out a couch in someone's living room for $500/month - yes that's a real listing.) But it didn't stop me from continuing to look on Craigslist in case something better came along - and something did. The next day I made an appointment for a 1BR, fully furnished, utilities included for $1700 on the Lower East Side (the general area I REALLY wanted.) I went, I saw, I fell in love. Not only will my commute to work be an easy 20-minutes door to door, but the trendy neighborhood is filled with bars, restaurants, and Chinese people (since Chinatown is nearby.) Oh I feel so at home.

Unfortunately the sublandlord, a strikingly stunning blonde, had a few other potentials to interview. Even though the past two landlords chose me out of all the people they screened, I didn't want to be too confident because this was the one I really wanted! She said she would get back to all the applicants with her decision the next morning.

The next morning, I was cautiously optimistic when my horoscope read, "Affairs, even those out of your hand, will go your way." But the next morning came and went. Then it was lunch. Then the clock struck 2. Then 3. Still nothing. I guess I didn't get the apartment after all. Finally at 6:30pm I got an email from her - she decided that she really wanted me to have it. I couldn't believe my eyes that I had to read it twice. I quickly called her back to set up logistics.

The funny thing is as I was anxiously waiting for her decision all day, it felt so right that I didn't even bother scouring on Craigslist for new postings. Whereas for the last two apartments that I had secured, I still looked every hour for more apartments that could be better. It’s kinda like when you’re with the wrong guy, no matter how many years you’ve been with him, you can't help but gawk at and crush on every pretty boy that comes your way. But once you find the one - the one who had you at hello, the one who gets lost in your eyes (no matter how small they are,) the one who makes your heart sing, makes everything groovy - you stop looking...Well who I am kidding? I guess I’ll never stop looking. But you do stop having crushes – except for that really hot guy in the Tokyo office last year. OK I really don’t know what I’m talking about but I am just beyond myself with my new apartment! And I get to move in this weekend.

5 comments:

nemo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nemo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey - Its nice to hear you are settled in NYC. Best of luck with your stuff there (not sure what you are doing there...?) Either way, happy brown-kid here for you. Cheers!

mg

Unknown said...

HA! You can always crack me up Evan. Was wondering if that really hot guy in the Tokyo office you mentioned was pretty boy C, or not so pretty boy G. You know the ones I'm talking about!

Glad to hear how you've been doing since Tahoe. Be happy!

Margaritaville said...

Terry! It was neither C nor G - this pretty boy came after you left Tokyo =)