Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Going to the chapel and we’re…

Gonna get maaaaaried…No – not me! It was my little sister who got married at the chapel of love this past weekend. I know…what was she thinking? Just kidding. I left New York at 7 in the morning on Friday for Maryland and as soon as I arrived I was on full maid of honor mode running around like a headless chicken. After the rehearsal and dinner, my cousins Angie, Aileen, my sister and I went back to my sister’s new house for a slumber party to finish last minute tasks and stayed up until 2 am. Although we woke up at 6, we were already late for our first task of the big day – tea ceremony at my parents’ house. Unfortunately, my sister and I got pulled over for going 60 on a 35. Panic set in and almost brought my sister to tears. When we explained to the cop that it was her wedding day, he said, “Speeding bride, huh?” and asked for proof. Of course she wasn’t wearing her big white dress, but luckily she had in her purse an application for a marriage license. Nonetheless he went back to his car with her driver’s license. When he returned, he delivered more bad news to my sister that her license had been suspended. Holy shit! Could anything else go wrong? Then the cop gave a cheesy chuckle saying “Just kidding!” and let us go without even a warning. Wow he's hilarious - he should consider quitting his day job. Getting pulled over, however, was still a doozy compared to the rest of the hectic day.

During the ceremony, I listened to the entire sermon without falling asleep (though my feet were a different story) and even cried a little on the inside when they were tearing up (I’m not heartless – I’m just not the crying type.) The wedding ceremony and taking pictures in DC actually went off without a hitch, although the reception was a bit chaotic. I also drank a little too much in the limo and should definitely have not had that mojito right before my maid of honor toast. But I did OK and even managed to entertain the guests (over 400!) with embarrassing stories of my sister. As much as I wanted to get drunk and dance all night with the bride and groom and their little friends, I was overwhelmed with exhaustion as I finished my last MOH duties and was home in bed by 1 am. The next day our cousins and I (all 12 of us) met up for pho for lunch to say goodbye and to send Mark and Mayan off then we all went our separate ways home. I love family weddings for this very reason – getting together with all our cousins since we hardly ever get to all be in the same town (oh and to celebrate eternal love and commitment and all that crap.)

1 comment:

Ally said...

Good times.
I didn't know about the cop encounter. :)