Thursday, April 5, 2007

Office Space

Working in the public sector is very different from the private world which is the only world I've ever known. For one thing, the government building where I now work isn't exactly high-tech. And the bathrooms are horrendous - think ghetto public school bathrooms built in the 60's with occasional flooding. They don't even have a cafeteria that sells food! There's also this dumb rule that you're not allowed to eat at your desk which is a very difficult thing for me to do since I EAT ALL DAY LONG (so I've resorted to sneaking a few bites here and there when no one's looking.) Furthermore, the view is the unsightly side of another old government building. I don't mean to sound like a corporate snob, but I'm used to working in pretty buildings with skywalks, flat screens in every conference room, and cafeterias with wall-to-wall windows overlooking city skylines.

Although the environment isn't up to par, I do enjoy the company of those with whom I work. My new work friends - some of which are my age - are people I can actually hang out with outside of work. But there's this one lady sitting across from me who can't stop humming (she's a dead ringer for Phyllis from "The Office.") At first I thought I was hearing things, but when I realized it was not just my imagination, I was like, "Woman, you're NOT one of the seven dwarfs so can you stop humming while you work?" Well, I didn't actually say that because she's very nice. But I did email my new work friends and asked for their advice on how to politely shut her up. They replied, "Don't worry. She's moving to another floor really soon so just be patient. But you're not the first one to notice it." Thank god because a few more days of this constant humming I'll be sure to go postal. (BTW, did you guys hear about that accountant who started shooting people at his office? Hopefully that won't be me in the near future.)

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Tell her that her humming makes you want to throw up. It worked last time you found a colleague's habit annoying.

cindy said...

hey you can't say i didn't warn you about life in the public sector!

deb said...

I have guy that sits in my row that cuts his nails in his cube! I've never peeked over to see if he's working on his fingers or toes but I get grossed out everytime I hear it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.